Thank you for your interest in Volunteer Services. Volunteers are an important part of our University of Cincinnati Medical Center community and we welcome your application to get involved. We believe that you can make a difference. See below for information on our Adult Volunteer and University of Cincinnati Medical Center VolunTeen programs. Along with the contribution of your time, we welcome your donations of books, magazines, videos and DVDs to provide to our patients with during their stay at University of Cincinnati Medical Center. Please call the volunteer office for more details on donations.
Volunteer Services also offers pet therapy in order to reduce anxiety and depression associated with hospitalization to patients who request it. Please contact Volunteer Services if you have a canine interested in being a pet therapy dog or if you know of a patient who would like a visit.
Opportunities for adult volunteers include clerical work, assisting and escorting patients and visitors, waiting rooms, emergency department assistance, and so much more. Groups are also encouraged to inquire about special projects for knitting or crocheting, which may take place off site. Call (513) 584-4875 to have an application mailed to you. Upon receiving the application:
- Completely fill out the application and list of references.
- Return both forms to:
Volunteer Services University of Cincinnati Medical Center ML 0759 234 Goodman Avenue Cincinnati, Ohio 45219 (fax) 513-584-0425
- Once your application has been received and references and background have been checked, a personal interview will be scheduled to discuss open positions and requirements. Volunteers may commit to at least four or more hours a week.
- All volunteers are required to participate in a University of Cincinnati Medical Center orientation, receive a TB test and get an ID badge. Volunteers assigned to specific departments will participate in a departmental orientation as well.
University of Cincinnati Medical Center VolunTeen Program
University of Cincinnati Medical Center offers a multiple week (June to mid-August) summer VolunTeen program for teens 14 years of age or older. All teen applications must be submitted by May 1.
- To request an application, call (513) 584-4875. Once your application has been completed and returned, a personal interview will be scheduled to discuss open positions and requirements. Personal references and a background check are also required. Teens should expect to commit at least four or more hours a week for a specific required time frame.
- All teen volunteers are required to participate in a University of Cincinnati Medical Center orientation and a Parent/Team night, receive a TB test and get an ID badge. VolunTeens assigned to specific departments will participate in a departmental orientation as well.
- Limited opportunities are available for teens during the school year. Applicants may be considered following their participation in the VolunTeen summer program.
Medical Explorer’s Program
Are you interested in pursuing a health care career?
UC Health proudly offers high school students the opportunity to learn more about clinical and nonclinical health care careers through the Medical Explorer’s Program at University of Cincinnati Medical Center. This program partners with the local Dan Beard Council of the Boy Scouts of America, to offer an exciting coeducational experience to any local teen interested and eligible.
What to Expect
Students gain valuable insight into the day-to-day responsibilities of a variety of clinical and nonclinical health care jobs over the course of several months. Each session focuses on a specific service area ranging from Cardiology, Neuroscience, Physical/ Occupational Therapy to Marketing Communications, Hospitality, Food and Environmental Services.
The program is led by adult advisors who work at UC Medical Center as physicians, nurses, therapists, technicians, support personnel and more. These dedicated associates facilitate the learning process for the Explorers and promote a greater awareness and understanding of career opportunities within the health care field through:
- Hands on opportunities facilitated by current clinicians and support staff
- Educational requirements needed for various positions
- Behind-the-scenes tours to areas not open to the public
Schedule & Registration
Program is offered from September – May and meets twice a month from 6-8:00 p.m. Registration begins at our Fall Kickoff and closes when full or first session begins. Early registration is encouraged as space is limited.
Contact us if interested!
Holly Kinsella, Program Coordinator, Volunteer Services
UCHealthVolunteerServices@UCHealth.com or (513) 584-4875