Daniel Drake Center for Post-Acute Care in Cincinnati has long been known as a regional leader in stroke recovery care, providing specialized inpatient and outpatient neurorehabilitative services. Combined with physicians and researchers from the University of Cincinnati’s internationally-recognized Stroke Team, we’ve developed the Stroke Recovery Center at Daniel Drake Center, a continuum of inpatient and outpatient, interdisciplinary stroke recovery care and research. Patients may access one or multiple levels of service based on their medical condition:
Inpatient Long Term Acute Care (LTAC) or Skilled Nursing care for the stroke patient whose complex, high level condition requires extended inpatient care and meets Daniel Drake Center’s admission requirements.
- Specialized outpatient physical, occupational and speech therapies provided by therapists experienced in neurorehabilitation using state-of-the-art equipment. Patients who complete this treatment may be recommended for inclusion in stroke research studies or our Stroke Team Assessment and Recovery Treatment (START) Program.
- The START Outpatient Program is for stroke survivors who have completed standard treatment and want a second opinion from an interdisciplinary team of medical, therapy and research specialists to determine if a fuller recovery might be possible. If so, a personalized care plan is developed. This service is available for patients who have already completed standard treatments, from those a few months to several years post-stroke.
- Research testing the latest stroke recovery techniques and tools. The care provided as part of these research studies are at no cost to the patient.
- Wellness and conditioning programs, including aquatics.
- Patients being discharged from an acute care hospital and ready to begin their recovery from stroke. Some patients may be admitted to Daniel Drake Center’s LTAC or skilled nursing care; most would benefit from Daniel Drake Center’s specialized outpatient therapies.
- Patients who have completed their standard therapeutic treatments, even those who are years post-stroke, and are seeking a fuller recovery. These patients may benefit from the START Outpatient Program to help regain skills.
Benefits of the Stroke Recovery Center at Daniel Drake Center:
- Interdisciplinary team of neurologists, physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians, physical, occupational and speech therapists, neuropsychologists and researchers specialized in neurorehabilitation.
- Speech language pathologists who identify and treat the cognitive and physical conditions that inhibit speech and comprehension. Augmentative communication can also be provided when needed.
- State-of-the-art equipment such as the BalanceMaster, Gait Rite, Bioness, Saeboflex and driver simulator, as well as the area’s only warm water therapy pool with a moveable floor for easy patient access.
- Affiliation with the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Cincinnati’s University of Cincinnati Medical Center and the UC Gardner Neuroscience Institute, extending the experience and expertise of their internationally known Stroke Team to the next step in stroke treatment-helping patients regain skills and rebuild their lives after stroke.
- Stroke Recovery Center Fact Sheet
- Stroke Recovery Center Questions & Answers
- Stroke Recovery Center Patient Data Form
For more information about the Stroke Recovery Center at Daniel Drake Center, call (513) 418-2470.